- July 02, 2021
You may be familiar with the independent Member Helen Haines and her championing of community energy. Earlier this year her team put the Australian Local Power Agency Bill to Parliament which has now been referred to the Standing Committee on the Environment and Energy to undertake a Parliamentary Inquiry and report.
This inquiry is your opportunity to highlight the merit of this Bill and the value of community energy to the Australian public.
What does the Bill put forward?
The Australian Local Power Agency Bill 2021 calls for three things:
- The introduction of the Australian Local Power Agency (ALPA) that would create regional hubs to support community energy development and would:
- Set up a government energy underwriting scheme to support locally owned renewable energy projects, providing greater financial certainty.
- Implement a new requirement that large renewable energy projects offer the local community a chance to co-invest.
In addition to these functions the ALPA would share information, knowledge and resources to help community energy projects get up and running and liaise between ARENA and the CEFC.
Why does the Bill matter?
Should this Bill go through it would be a game changer for renewables and community energy. The Australian Local Power Agency would help to unlock community driven energy across the country and ensure that income from large scale renewables is shared more equitably within host communities.
Two ways you can support this bill?
1. Make a submission directly to the Standing Committee via the Australian Parliament website here
The most powerful way to make a submission is directly on the Australian Parliament website. You may want to use some of the talking points from our submission to Helen Haines last year. Support for community energy groups will unlock a massive volunteer effort across the country that will strengthen local economies, grow clean energy capacity and improve the social license of renewables.
2. Make a quick two-minute submission on the Repower Our Communities website
It’s easy and will take only two minutes of your time. Make a submission yourself and encourage your community to add their name on the Repower Our Communities website.